March 24, 2010

She's My Heart

Sitting on this beautiful love seat seemed ideal for a grandmother named Lovie Vanilla Hart King. Everybody calls Lovie, Lovie, including the woman sitting beside her in this portrait, Davita Galloway, who is Lovie's very devoted (and very stylish) granddaughter.

I've been working with Davita lately and one day in my studio she spotted a photograph of my greatgrandmother, Ada Alden. That sparked a long conversation about how important these two older women are in our lives.

"My grandma is my heart," Davita said, and you could feel how deep and true that was just by the way she said it.

I knew immediately that I needed to make a family portrait.

Last Friday when I went to Mrs. King's house to photograph her with Davita, I kept thinking what Davita had said. I asked Davita to sit next to her 91-year-old grandma and think about the phrase, "She is my heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment