August 13, 2010

It's Getting Late

It began with dead roses. I had this image of eyes covered with flowers and the first idea that hit involved using a dozen dead roses I've keep since my anniversary many, many months ago. They are lovely wrinkled flowers in shades of ivory and old Episcopal purple.

When my kids began leaving home, I started letting flowers go through a full cycle, from moistly plump and colorful to crisp shrunken reminders of the past. Over time, I grew to love the end result as much as the beginning. I began to see aging as something beautiful, surprising, totally new. A good thing, too, since everything ages.

In the end, I scrapped the rose idea. I decided to go with these glorious zinnias.They are happy pink and purple faces I found in the shambles of my mid-August garden. Many of the stems stretch over five feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment