October 15, 2010

Editorial?

Third parties witness other peoples' intimacy. What's going on is viewed from outside the direct action.

For me, making photographs is an intimate relationship. I make an image and then the image makes me. We work together from interrelated perspectives. We speak an unspoken language. We share history. And, lest this turn too lofty, we screw up.

My blathering is all a preamble to yesterday's portfolio review with artist/juror, Colin Quashie. A third party came into play. It felt very odd to hear a different voice speaking.

Quashie said more than once, Your work is very editorial.

Editorial? I asked more than once.

Yes, he said, look up Getty Images.

I am still scratching my head.

1 comment:

  1. Yes - editorial. The photo(s) I made this reference to looked as though they were waiting for a story to define their existence, they had very little to say on their own visually and were waiting on the words to ask them to dance. That's what I mean by editorial - nothing in the photo(s) seemed interesting enough to stand on it's own without aid.

    ReplyDelete