October 30, 2010

Order in the Court

The myth of the ordered life is so appealing when it's commercially packaged well. I have a thing for kitchen stores and office supply shops, art ones too. I love how great things can look lined up and new.

This shot is from a cozy independent kitchen store I visited this summer in Great Barrington, Massachusetts. I don't use these one cup no-fuss gizmos but their mini coffee containers caught my eye.

I am drawn to the way space lines up, which makes a certain sense. It's a photographer's obsession - lining up space. Think Margaret Bourke-White. Paul Strand with his dinnerware. Sebastiao Salgado. The list goes on.

I think I'm attracted to simple order because my head is a dense forest - an intriguing place but, damn, a hell of a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment