September 27, 2011

You Crack Me Up


Here's a portrait of explosive happiness.  I didn't take the photograph -- one of the very talented fourth graders I've been working with did. The student photographer worked with Una, the exuberant girl on the left. Una wanted her self-portrait to describe her love of friendship and so she picked Zoe, one of her many good friends, to join in the frame.

I don't know what you think, but to me friendship never looked so fun. Such hilarity and closeness. And doesn't this portrait contain its own soundtrack.  

And doesn't it so perfectly demonstrate what the great Ernst Haas once said about color photography: artists are not making color photographs, they make photographs about color. 

3 comments:

  1. Diana: Wonderful photo! I have the email address of Zoe's mom (and could track down Una's too). If you haven't already contacted them, and are willing to share, I'm sure they'd LOVE such a wonderful photo of "explosive happiness." Enjoyed seeing you at ABES. And I did LOVE the art you donated there. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure. That's a sweet offer. Doesn't this image just make you want to go to that place, experience that feeling!
    Enjoyed seeing you, too, as always, and SO happy with your news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so there! They were a wonderful group this year and loving it more and more each year! Such an inspiration to be around young crowds, as they are so innocent and know what they really want in life!

    ReplyDelete