October 2, 2011

The Beginning

I came across an old favorite the other day - the Venetian laundry lady. Love her and the way she looks to be a white rectangle on the laundry line of hanging shadows. 

What struck me seeing this image after such a long time is how it represents where I've gone as a photographer. Before I even understood what I was after, this moment and place and person represented the images that interest me most. There's the setting, the repetitive pattern, the dress, the timelessness, the gesture, the story, the everyday mystery.

The woman leaned into that window talking to her friend (I only assume to know) for at least 30 minutes. I stood taking pictures until I ran out of film at which time I ran to the nearest drug store, purchased another roll, ran back to the laundry line, and there she remained, leaning, her elbows on the windowsill, her left foot pressed against her right calf, her head shaded by the awning. 

1 comment: