October 5, 2011

Outwitting Calamities


Here's a shot from the window display I created this weekend at Associated Artists in Winston-Salem. I had a blast making it, working within a confined, proscribed, three dimensional space. I used some recent photographs as the starting point and then began building a set using props and materials from both portraits. Glass bottles, white cloth, twinkling lights and small mirrored squares from a disco ball.

Then I went a little nuts with a series of 6 images picked at random and printed 3 x 2 or 2 x 3. I hung those from ribbons that ran from hooks installed in the ceiling in a manner best described as willy nilly.

There's a great quote I came across this week from the self-portrait photographer, Arno Rafael Minkkinen. His words speak to my love of inviting chaos into frame.

To outwit the calamities, I have learned to formulate a partnership with spontaneity. Allowing limitations to become idea generators instead of idea killers means opening oneself up to creative solutions we might ordinarily never have known nor anticipated.


No comments:

Post a Comment