October 28, 2011

The Present Is a Screen


I've been thinking about time all the time lately.
The blur of time. The bleed and blush of memories, the fade and focus, the porousness of time.
This image, which is just what I saw no fancy computer layering or pyrotechnics, sums up way time appears as I'm wrestling around with the past dresses in my closet. I'm making new images in the now using the prism of the then. 

This week I discovered the remarkable South African photographer, Jo Ractliff.  Love what she says  about photography and time.

 "It's like the present is a screen for something else, and that's what I'm trying to get in my pictures."

"I think documentary photography is not simply the freezing of a time of an event, but rather has the quality of being unceasingly involved with the totality of a time stretching endlessly and forever."




No comments:

Post a Comment