October 18, 2011

Two for Tuesday



Sometimes a classic posed portrait is a sweet thing. I was wandering downtown when I spotted this twosome, this mother and son leaving Sunday evening services at Goler Memorial AME Zion Church. I got my nerve up and asked if I could make their picture. It's always a push to invade people's privacy, but I was taken with them.

For one thing, they looked so good and, more importantly, they had a cheerful feeling about them, each with their church bulletin rolled up in their hand. It turned out it was a special day, a birthday, and I just can't now remember who was celebrating. Seems they both were.

2 comments:

  1. I recently have been thinking about how to ask strangers for their photo. And thought about you and pondering 'what does Diana do?'. I have been successful and unsuccessful at times, but I would like to start asking more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's tough. When people say no, it's not a matter of you being successful, it's that they are deciding they don't want to. I find that freeing, the fact all they can say is no. It's up to them. I am braver knowing that!

    ReplyDelete