December 11, 2012

Two for Tuesday: Winter Offering


I've been in an exploring mood lately. I've been sniffing around, scouting locations and making some new grooves in my driving habits.  Looking to see what else is out there reminds me why I love Winston-Salem, my humble city with the hypen, a place I can't quite bring myself to call The Dash.

We have everything here - rural and urban, decaying and new, industrial and suburban, farmer and scientist, pauper and princess, hip hop and classical.  And, we have Lavern and her grandbaby.

I came upon this lovely twosome the other Friday at the intersection of Northwest Boulevard and Liberty. Lavern and her granddaughter were sitting on that plastic white chair, watching the traffic roll by on a beautiful, global warming warm December afternoon. They were waiting for drivers to pull in to buy some of Lavern's trucked in veggies. Once I spotted the colorful pair, I immediately parked in the lot across the street and walked over, wallet and camera in hand.

Look at the beaming rays bouncing off Lavern's smiling and animated face - she's a complete contrast to her dour little grand, who is as serious as Sunday, her lips a thin line of so what, her eyes two frozen dots of no-nonsense.

I bought two bags of greens. At one point Lavern said, Turnips are the bomb. And she was totally right about that. When I cooked those turnips of hers in some olive oil, salt, garlic and herbs, I built the entryway into the land of delicacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment