November 4, 2010

Making Statements

Looking over massive quantities of work, I realize themes. Like this one: emptied out spaces. The here and gone-ness of it fascinates me. The crumbling nature of permanence and time.

All those great English lit ideas are present in this momentary image that seems to contain at least two worlds, the past as well as the partial present. I find this sort of image wherever I go
whether it's downtown Winston-Salem or rural Vermont. I'm compiling a series of these photographs and feel as if there' a secret inside each image. Something whispered.

Right now I'm working on an artist statement for grant applications and such. I'm thinking the phrase The Partial Present could be a series title to wrap my narrative around. So could Emptied Out.

I took this photograph the morning of demolition. I arrived at eight o'clock and by 10:30 not one single brick or panel from the dining room mural stood vertically.

Photography involves reactions. Snap-second reactions. It helps me to not think too much.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Di. You're awesome.

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  2. this reminds me of an image i did while in college studying photography...perhaps i will find it and share it with you!

    ReplyDelete