January 6, 2012

Back in the Closet


Ahhhh, I'm feeling a tad shaky. This week I jumped back into the dresses and recollections, became preoccupied with something called a forthcoming engagement. For over a year now, I've had my head in the closet working on a new series and I'm about to come out.

Until now, I've written grants about The Recollection, my series of stories and images. I've collaborated with people and spaces, turning stories into theatrical snapshots. And I've privately shared bits and pieces at friendly gatherings and portfolio reviews. But to step fully out of the closet - that's a whole nother thing. Februrary 9th at SECCA I will share stories and photographs from this personal body of work.

Right now I'm fantasizing about sudden illnesses and/or wintry mixes.

The story of The Recollection started off innocently enough with a dance to the Pussycat Dolls' song Buttons. From there, it's been a ride and a half. The stories brought me back in time in ways that were funny and bitter-tasting, embarrassing, melancholic and beautiful.

The past is so big, you know. It opens a world. It provides linearity and order and yet stirs up a emotional wind that blows time on its ticking head.

I leave you with one parting thought.

This week I watched a TED talk with Brene Brown, a social worker, who spoke about vulnerability.  She said people who have the courage to be imperfect, to be vulnerable, approach life in a more wholehearted way. "What made them vulnerable made them who they are," she said. "It made them beautiful. There was a willingness to do something with no sense of outcome."




2 comments:

  1. This post made tears come to my eyes. 'The past is so big, you know. It opens a world. It provides linearity and order and yet stirs up a emotional wind that blows time on its ticking head.' Truly. Step out of the closet and into the light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sparkle, you of all people understand what I'm saying. You are one who is willing to work with vulnerability, to put your very self out there! Thank you for this comment, my dear friend who goes back in time with me and has remained opened to the ride.

    ReplyDelete