February 21, 2012

Two for Tuesday: Art & Ambiguity


This Tuesday I'm captivated by a duality that may reside within the twosome pictured here.  I'm thinking about ambiguity. How does this couple seem? To me, it's not entirely clear. It's not one thing or the other. It's a little of this and that; it's ambiguous.

When ambiguity walks into the room holding its cane, one person will see love, the other unhappiness; one will see a snake, the other a curly ribbon.

In this featured pair, I see a man playing guitar and a woman listening as she leans back against a queen-sized chaise lounge. It's a classic pose. A romantic scene repeated since ancient times. And, yet, in this modern day version, there's a stiffness, something physically and emotionally held in, that makes me question the depth of either parties' enjoyment.

 Maybe the couple is hungover or jet lagged. Maybe they're just cold. Who can say?

Whatever the case, I love the vignette - the small dance. Notice how each has one leg outstretched and the other leg bent.  Nice choreography. I also like his black leather jacket and her plaid duffle coat, and the way her square sunglasses frame up/font up nicely with the word PHILLIP written along the glass building.

When I asked the man if I could make a photograph, he nodded in such a slight and narrow way, I had to ask twice to read his answer. Glad he agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment