April 18, 2012

What's More to Say?



So I'm thinking about journals and thinking, let it go, just drop it, no more notebooks.

For me, a notebook junkie since the age of 18, this is a radical rattle running through my brain.

But yesterday something happened. I was searching for a motivating quote, which means checking the opening inside pages of my journals where I store those little gems of wisdom and wit.

I needed a quote for a group meeting centered on decisions about big changes. The one I found comes from Richard Serra, an epic sculptor who makes his work in navy shipyards.

 Make bold moves and powerful forces will come to your aid.


Later that day, I sat down at a lecture, reached into my bag and pulled out the 2008 journal. I opened to the middle and started reading. Almost immediately it kind of turned me off to see that what I'd written is pretty much what I'd write today. Same old, same old.

Getting work done
Creative quiet
Spiritual desire
The remembrance of good dinners with family & friends
Dreams
Sticking points
Wonderful objects such as chairs and trees
Sentences about weather such as this one: Heard only the wind today.

Reading this book made me what to shake it all off like a very wet dog just after a swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment