November 13, 2012

Two for Tuesday: WTP


Right now my world is awash with children and that makes me happy and keeps me learning.  This pair of beaming writers and photographers is showing off their completed projects created during my residency at the Arts Based Elementary School.  In their hands are the self-portraits they created as part of the project, My Inside Outside Self.

As we stapled and taped and polished their portraits, we chatted casually, enjoying a rare and well-earned moment of down time together. Jadyn with the rainbow stripes taught me that WTP means where's the party. And Kharin, with the black and white stripes, said possibly the funniest line I'd ever heard while teaching.

Kharin was proud of all her writing, amazed because she'd never written this much before. As a teacher my heart swooned a little. I asked her why she thought she was able to write such a long piece.

"Because I'm really self-centered," she said, smiling, "and that's all we had to write about."

Anyone who wants to come see all 57 dazzling fourth grade artists from ABES is invited to attend their performance and opening reception tomorrow night - Wednesday November 14 - at 7 pm at SECCA in Winston-Salem.  The work is stunning, surprising and rich and, at times, hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment