November 30, 2012

For Janine


My friend Janine says that Andy Goldsworthy is the artist that matters as she thinks about her life now, now that cancer is nesting in several places on her beautiful 45 year old body. Life can get serious super quickly.

Goldsworthy's sculpture is made with the earth's elements. The material reflects beauty and its eventual destruction, its inevitable demise. Collectors cannot buy a Goldsworthy. They are meant to disappear over time. Some take months, others decades, maybe more.

This week Janine wrote. "We humans have no idea of anything really...best is to live in the moment." 

She also told me how children have it right; they're fearless, able to be thrilled by rain, crickets, grass, eager to splash through a puddle, ready to run through the water, getting wet and loving it.

I made this grass and cinderblock landscape for Janine this afternoon.


2 comments:

  1. Diana---interesting. I am a big fan of Goldsworthy. I recommend a film about him:: Rivers and Tides. Like our bodies, like all things in nature, Goldsworthy's constructions are beautiful and transient, always changing, always shifting and moving. I thought about him a lot on a trip to Yosemite last year; I still think about his work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm a big fan of that movie as well. He's magical and into art for the purest of reasons.

    ReplyDelete