March 13, 2012

Two for Tuesday: Leaning In


Call me a hippie, but I've always liked the bumper sticker that says practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty. Here's a mother and son animating both halves of that two-pronged ideal. Kindness and beauty indeed.

Seated side by side on stools in my studio, Jane and her exuberantly joyful seven-year-old son, Trent, sat awaiting direction from yours truly. Well, before I said one word, Trent spontaneously reached up to hug and kiss his sweet mama, and she leaned in, happy to receive.

This twosome pulls me inside with them.  Trent's elbow, his reach upward, that tilted head of his. Jane's closed-eye smile, her bend, that cusping hand along her son's back. Affection is such a beautiful thing to feel, and to behold.

I remember raising my son and how I vowed never to give up kissing him, even when so many mother's told me their sons "wouldn't" let them kiss in public anymore. Well, I just never bought into that, and thank goodness, neither did my wonderful son.

No comments:

Post a Comment