May 15, 2012

Two for Tuesday: Punkadelic


Street corner conversation never looked so festive or so colorful, especially when you consider that this Doc Martin wearing twosome consists of two guys. Not only do I love Mister Captivating himself with his Betty Boop purse, kilt, fishnets, and decoupaged helmet, but I love the amused smile on Mister Muttonchops.

At first glance you could think it's a moment where directions are being explained. The man's outstretched arm seems to be part of the phrase at the top of the hill you turn right, but not when you look more closely at their facial expressions. There's too much emphasis and charm on either side of this dialogue to be about getting from point A to point B. If I had to guess what the man with the coffee cup is saying it'd be more along the lines of And I told him there's no way you can live here anymore with your shitty musical taste and poorly behaved ferrets.

Anyway...it didn't occur to me until now how fitting it is to feature this twosome after last week's American flags, flags that portended the depressing passage of Amendment One in North Carolina's primary election.

This photograph comes from Vancouver, the beautiful and progressive Canadian city on the left coast, where I plan to move if the US sinks more deeply into a cesspool of intolerance, cruelty, and greed. My Vancouver friends think I should start a small company up there now so I can begin planning a solid exit strategy to British Columbia. I'm afraid they're probably right. Maybe my company should sell Betty Boop purses...

No comments:

Post a Comment