July 26, 2012

Doors, Floors and other Objects


Pulling together mini portfolios for a couple of gallery owners. We're both interested in each other and I hope we start dating soon. For now, the courtship is fun and I'm loving the chance to assemble heaps of work into units, categories, relationships that build and, hopefully, begin creating meaning.

I remember when I created the show, Wait and See. I did more than a dozen portraits and interviews with people who had experienced expectancy, the knowing act of waiting for an anticipated event or result. All these people. So many faces - a scientist, a minister, a dying woman, a pregnant one, and a man wrongly imprisoned for nineteen years.

I finished that body of work and realized that many of my object images and landscapes, the doorknobs and the fog, fit perfectly with the show's theme. On some level, I'd been working on the series long before I gave it a title and declared a direction. David Hockney speaks well about the way work leads the way. Make enough, he says, and you'll see the trail, the signs will be clear, the direction known.

What about the issue of  color vs. black and white in these doors?  The gallerists I'm hoping to date are serious about their black and white.



No comments:

Post a Comment