July 10, 2012

Two for Tuesday: A Given


Up and down, his and hers, this and that, north and south, salt and pepper. Certain archetypal, inseparable twosomes are givens. But not so many are as cute as this tiny twosome, these friends pressed together close and familiar, buddy buddy, standing square-shouldered on the table.

I could wax philosophical about the duality of life and how the churning of bright and dark floods my spirit on a daily basis, but, gosh, these metal-capped miniatures cry out for simple thoughts.

A sprinkle of salt, a shake of pepper.

That's it.

And it makes me happy remembering the day these glass chums caught my eye. It was years ago at Boston's Contemporary Art Museum when I spotted them standing trim and tidy on a cafe table, ready for lunch hour to begin. They looked artful, their spouts harmonizing with the oval holes of the orange chair behind them, nearly as smart and graphic as the Shepard Fairey show I'd gone to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment