July 3, 2012

Two for Tuesday: Making Faces


Saw this dynamic duo dance last night at Duke. Monica Bill Barnes, the one with the black scarf and squiggly lips, choreographed a riveting duet that she danced in with Anna Bass, the lady with the big mouth. They danced like mad to Tina Tuner's soaring live version of Proud Mary. It's a song that warms up super slow and then burns for about ten juicy minutes.

They walked onto stage wearing sequined dresses and gray sneakers. Their silliness and eyebrows catapulted me into a happy state. Go for it, ladies. Knock yourselves out. Be elegant. Be a goofball. Be whatever Proud Mary wants you to be.

Their dance included long riffs of synchronized dancing, dazzling foot work and hand gestures all done at precisely the same time. Duets always involve tuning into the others' timing. But this couple's performance dazzled with intricate unity. The Monica/Anna duo mirrored with a thousand little split-second moves that clung to the music like a tight dress.

Monica and Anna'd get jamming, moving hard to Tina's voice and when suddenly they'd make a riotous face at each other or the audience. They'd flash an exaggerated look of surprise or love, uh-oh or ecstasy. There's a little whiff of circus performance wafting around this Tuesday's twosome.

During the post-performance Q 'n A, I asked Monica what it's like working as a twosome? How are duets different from solos? Her answer was very non-technical.

I danced solo for five years, she said. I was all I could afford.
I was so relieved to have someone else on stage. Anna and I have danced for ten years together. We have a movement, information that we understand together. 
There's a sense of not being alone in performance. I'm less lonely and vulnerable. It's more assuring to have the duet to work with.


Later I ran up to the foot of the stage with my shaky hands and phone and asked for a photograph.  I asked them to make one of their faces and they slid right into this pose.

1 comment: