September 7, 2012

He Got the Job Done

September is a promising month. The light is changing, the mornings are longer, the temp is more reasonable, and plans begin. Being in an academic family, September feels more like new year's than new year's.

It's a beginning. And this past week I began sharing my literacy through photography program with a group of seven, all men, all in various states of recovery from addiction. The men live in residence in Winston-Salem. They're working the steps while also working out in the community - painting, auto mechanics, lawn work, this and that.

I had an amazing time just pulling together the powerpoint for our first meeting. The man pictured above appeared about four frames into my presentation. Take that for bad ass. I saw this man at one of the pull-offs that dot the scenic highway that weaves through Malibu.

I asked the men in the classroom what they noticed, what they saw.

Macho. A tough guy.  Mister cool.

I said I loved his head, his profile and especially that gesture with his jacket.

Yeah, said one of the students. He looks like a man who just got the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment