September 22, 2012

Prodigals, Week Three


The weight of wanting and the broken past are sewn into the skin of every discussion with men at the Prodigals community. That's been my experience so far this month. Of course, that's a huge oversimplification, I'm sure, but the powerful images the men are making seem focused on the hope for recovery and the darkness that led them to rehab.

I made this image last week with Warren. He had the idea of where to go and what to do (we'd just studied gesture and mood in portraiture) and all I did frame the shot and get the exposure down.

When Warren likes a photo he calls it tight. When I give him a copy of this next week, I can't help but think he's going say this one's pretty tight. I am struck by its privacy and its beautiful pain.


No comments:

Post a Comment