September 3, 2012

Color Made Me Do It

Meet artist Charles a.k.a. Chas Walker. I wrote about him years ago and got to photograph him in his studio. Back then, I was a hardcore totally committed black and white photographer. Still, I remember how it just about killed me to strip the color from this ode to orange blue white and other drippy surprises.

What a great outfit for the shoot. I loved how he'd selected that look for his portrait. After all, the man loved stripes with an affinity based on exuberant commitment and deep understanding.

See the canvas behind him parked on the wall that ripples with the marks of countless paintings? CW has been creating paintings based on that exact scenario/formula/form/rhythm for years and years and years.

It amazed me then; it still does all these years later.



No comments:

Post a Comment