April 22, 2011

Easter Flowers

Easter is in the air in Australia. It's a major holiday, with everything closed for Good Friday and Easter. Hot Cross Buns. Eggs. Chocolate.

Yesterday afternoon I saw a grown man, a guy of about 25 or so, straddling an orange raft in the river. That was cute enough, but then his girlfriend passed him a headband with a pair of white bunny ears. He happily put them on and the cute factor became insane.

Anyway, about these flowers here. They are unreal, aren't they? Such beauty and strength and color. Wowza. I saw them at a crowded outdoor market and had to stop immediately. I
couldn't buy them because they just don't pack well, you know. So I photographed them and then Margaret Grose (thanks, MG) told me all about them. They're called King Protea and are, if I remember correctly, the national flower of South Africa.

I wanted to post a photo of the fox bats for Marissa and Tyler (hello, hello, my dears), but it just didn't seem appropriate for the holiday. Those bats are coming, though...and so is Ringo Terrick. OMG.

2 comments:

  1. You got close enough to a bat to photograph it? I'll have to see it to believe it. These flowers are, indeed, unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this: "King Protea...if I remember correctly, the national flower of South Africa." Uh-huh. How handy you happened to be carrying around that bit of knowledge!

    ReplyDelete