April 7, 2011

Twoness

Here's a picture of my marriage. The his and her-ness of this twoness struck my husband and me as we ambled about in Hobart late one afternoon.

Look at us, I said, we're parked right there.

Traveling with my husband, who is my great friend and navigator supreme, makes our adventures more rewarding. But we have different styles. He's mister map, obsessed with knowing how it works, and I'm more a wandering idiot.
Questions come to him ahead of time,.
Questions occur to me later.
He likes a roof, a clear foreground of green, and a license plate.
Me, I can live with the chaos of brick, the lack of identity, and a horizon of nothingness.
We're just like these Volvos. We love the road, and we know how to travel well together and take space to be alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment