April 20, 2011

Gliding Into Goodness

Here's a beauty in every way possible. Sarah. Graceful and smiling and happy to demonstrate some moves she learned as a former figure skater. I met her while she was putting on her rollerblades outside the Royal Exhibition Building, a glorious Victorian beast of a building.

It turns out she's a baker and a cook at Abbotsford Convent. I'm still grasping what the place is, but this I know so far: the convent has been converted into a collective that includes education, artist studios and galleries,wholesome food, yummy coffee, an old gas pump, gardens, yoga studios, a super cool guy named Ringo and more - much more than I can list here and more than I got to see during my short visit today.

Thanks for the kindness, Sarah, and thanks also for the chance to skate a little myself and remember how excellent it feels to glide, to remain light on my feet.

1 comment:

  1. Diana - I spend a lot of time down at the Convent. It's a great place. Viv goes to day care at the place at the top of the street. In fact, she was there on the 20th playing with her pals. The Yarra river snakes behind the convent and the Collingwood Children's Farm dead ends at the end of the street. Hard to believe all that open space is so close to the city center. Ann

    ReplyDelete